Apple has a brand new model of macOS. It’s referred to as Huge Sur, and it’s model 11.0. On this article I’ll go over how one can create a bootable macOS Huge Sur set up drive. However earlier than I give directions on find out how to create the drive, I’ll go over the gadgets you’ll want and find out how to get them.
These directions are for the formally launched model of macOS Huge Sur, not the general public/developer beta. It was carried out on Macs working macOS Catalina, and once more on Huge Sur.
Macworld additionally has bootable-install-drive directions for:
Get an exterior drive and possibly an adapter
The macOS Huge Sur installer software program is over 12GB, so that you want a USB exterior drive that may maintain that a lot information. The drive could be a thumb drive, onerous drive, or SSD.
When you’ve got a 2015 or newer Mac laptop computer that has USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports, you could want Apple’s $19 USB to USB-C adapter. This may let you join a storage gadget that makes use of a USB type-A connector. In case you don’t have an exterior drive and you’ve got a USB-C Mac laptop computer, you can purchase the SanDisk Extremely USB Sort-C Flash Drive, which has a USB-C connector. You may get mannequin quantity SDCZ450-016G-G46.
You should erase the drive and format it to Mac OS Prolonged (Journaled). You are able to do this within the Mac’s Disk Utility app, which is within the Functions/Utilities folder.
Get the macOS Huge Sur installer software program
Huge Sur is on the market by the Apple’s App Retailer. Click on on the Get button on the higher proper, and the Software program Replace system choice will open. Click on the Obtain button. The obtain might take some time.
However after the obtain is full and the installer launches, do not click on the Proceed button. Stop the installer by urgent Command-Q. Then go to your Functions folder and it’s best to discover an “Set up macOS Huge Sur” app. You should have the app there to make the bootable drive.
Use the Terminal to make a bootable macOS Huge Sur installer drive
You’re going to make use of the Terminal to make your exterior drive a bootable macOS Huge Sur installer. Don’t fear for those who’ve by no means used Terminal earlier than, it’s simple. Listed below are the directions.
1. Join the exterior drive to your Mac. In these directions, I take advantage of
Untitled because the title of the exterior drive. In case your drive is known as one thing else, you must change
Untitled to the title of your drive.
2. Launch Terminal (/Functions/Utilities/Terminal.app).
3. Choose and duplicate the next:
sudo /Functions/Set up macOS Huge Sur.app/Contents/Assets/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled -- /Functions/Set up macOS Huge Sur.app
4. Return to Terminal and paste the copied code on the immediate. Keep in mind to vary
Untitled to the title of your drive. Press Return.
5. Terminal might ask to your password. Enter it and press Return.
6. Terminal will warn you that your exterior drive must be erased. To proceed, kind Y on the immediate and press Return.
7. An alert might seem asking for permission for Terminal to entry a detachable drive. Click on OK.
8. You’ll see that Terminal erases your drive after which copies the installer file to your drive. This may take a couple of minutes.
7. After copying, Terminal is completed. You need to see Terminal show a message saying your drive is prepared to be used.
Replace the installer drive
1. Plug your exterior drive into your Mac.
2. Energy up (or restart) your Mac. Press down on the Possibility key whereas the Mac boots.
3. After a number of moments, your Mac ought to show the Startup Supervisor, which is able to present you the out there boot drives. Click on on the exterior drive and press Return. (You don’t want to pick a community to proceed.)
4. An alert seems that claims, “A software program replace is required to make use of this startup disk”. Click on the Replace button. The replace course of takes a number of minutes. (Word: The primary time I attempted this, after clicking Replace, I noticed an alert saying the Replace couldn’t be put in. I repeated the method once more from step 1, and the second time, the replace course of ran efficiently. One other time, an alert appeared stating that the replace failed, however you as requested to “Strive Once more”.)
After the updater runs, the Mac will restart. You continue to have one other factor to do earlier than you may boot off the exterior drive.
Change safety settings
The Mac could also be set as much as not let you use an exterior startup disk. You’ll want to vary this. Right here’s how.
1. Restart you Mac and maintain down Command-R throughout the boot course of. This places the Mac into Restoration Mode.
2. The Mac ought to boot with a “macOS Utilities” window. Click on on the Utilities menu and choose Startup Safety Utility.
3. An “Authentication Wanted” window seems. You should authenticate as an administrator. This implies you want the person title and password of an account on the Mac that’s designated as an administrator. When you’ve got that data, click on on Enter macOS Password after which enter the person title and password.
4. A number of choices will seem. For our functions right here, look within the Allowed Boot Media part, and verify the button for “Permit booting from exterior or detachable media”. Then shut the window.
We’re nearly there! Now it’s time to lastly boot from the exterior drive.
Easy methods to boot from the installer drive
1. With the exterior drive plugged in, boot/restart the Mac and maintain down the Possibility key.
2. The Startup Supervisor ought to seem. Choose your exterior drive.
3. The Mac will boot into Restoration mode. You need to see a window with 4 choices. If you wish to set up Huge Sur and go away the info intact, choose Set up macOS Huge Sur. If you wish to begin over and wipe out the info, you must go into Disk Utility to reformat the inner drive first, after which set up macOS Huge Sur. Make your choice and click on Proceed.
The Huge Sur installer will run for those who chosen Set up macOS Huge Sur. If you’re in Disk Utility, format your drive, then give up the app. You’ll return to the Restoration mode window when you are able to do the OS set up.
Make a bootable installer drive: Different methods
With previous variations of macOS, I used a free app referred to as Set up Disk Creator to make the set up drive. It has not but been up to date to help Huge Sur. I’ve additionally used DiskMaker X, however the developer introduced that he’s not updating the app.