Earlier than promoting, gifting, or recycling a Mac, you may wish to take plenty of steps to correctly put together it. Here is how.
Whether or not you may have your eye on a brand new M1 Mac otherwise you simply wish to eliminate an outdated macOS gadget in an environmentally accountable means, it is necessary to correctly signal out of sure companies and delete your outdated information earlier than doing so.
The method is pretty easy however could take a while, so make sure you finances a while to making ready your Mac earlier than eliminating it. Additionally, these steps solely apply to Intel-based Macs, since a few steps are a bit completely different on Apple Silicon machines.
With each of these issues in thoughts, here is easy methods to put together your Mac gadget earlier than you eliminate it.
The 1st step: Again up your Mac
Should you’re planning on promoting, regifting, or recycling your Mac gadget, it is possible that you’ve got already thought concerning the information saved on it. If you have not, let this be a reminder.
Getting ready a Mac for switch to a brand new proprietor ought to contain deleting all the information on it for each safety and privateness causes. Should you do not wish to lose that information without end, you may must again up your gadget earlier than you proceed to any further steps.
The best technique of backing up your Mac is utilizing Apple’s built-in Time Machine characteristic. There are different choices to think about, and extra data is out there right here.
Signal out of your companies
Erasing your Mac will sometimes make sure that your information stays in your individual fingers. However, relying on the model of macOS that the Mac is operating, there are a couple of further steps you could wish to take.
Should you’re on OS X Mountain Lion or earlier, then it is a good follow to signal out of iMessage. Here is how.
- Open the iMessage app in your Mac.
- Select Messages from the highest menu bar, after which choose Preferences.
- On this menu, click on on iMessage.
- Lastly, click on Signal Out.
Should you plan on transferring a tool operating macOS Mojave or earlier, then you definately’ll wish to signal out of iTunes, too.
- Open iTunes.
- Within the iTunes window, choose Account and Authorizations.
- From that drop down menu, choose Deauthorize this Laptop.
- You will be prompted to enter your Apple ID account credentials and password.
- When you do, hit Deauthorize.
Lastly, it is a good suggestion to signal out of iCloud on any Mac gadget earlier than you go about erasing the drive.
In macOS Catalina and macOS Massive Sur, that is accomplished by clicking on the Apple icon within the high menu bar, then navigating to System Preferences > Apple ID. From right here, choose Overview after which click on on the Signal Out button.
It is a related however barely completely different on macOS Mojave and earlier. Select the Apple icon within the menu bar, choose System Preferences, click on iCloud, after which click on Signal Out.
Chances are you’ll be requested if you wish to make a copy of the iCloud information in your Mac. It would not actually matter in some way, since you may be erasing your drive and any iCloud information will stay synced to your Apple cloud storage.
A few further steps
One step that many individuals miss is to reset the nonvolatile random-access reminiscence (NVRAM) and parameter RAM (PRAM) earlier than reinstalling macOS.
It is a finest follow, nevertheless. Resetting the PRAM will clear sure consumer settings out of your Mac’s reminiscence. It’s going to additionally restore sure deeper-level safety features that will have been modified. Here is easy methods to do it.
- Shut down your Mac.
- Flip in your Mac and instantly press and maintain Choice, Command, P and R.
- After about 20 seconds, you may launch your keys.
You will know that the reset labored in case you see the Apple emblem seem and disappear for a second time on T2-equipped Macs. On older Macs, you may hear that signature startup sound.
Do word that resetting the NVRAM and PRAM utilizing this technique solely works on Intel-based Macs. There is not any choice to manually reset NVRAM on Apple Silicon Macs.
Along with resetting your NVRAM, you might also wish to manually unpair any Bluetooth gadgets out of your Mac.
This step is not strictly mandatory, however it might keep away from confusion in case you reside with the particular person you are transferring the Mac to. It might additionally mitigate any Bluetooth safety considerations you could have.
Simply navigate to Apple menu > System Preferences > Bluetooth. Hover over the gadgets you’d wish to unpair and click on the X icon subsequent to them.
Lastly, erase and reinstall macOS.
Now that each one of that’s accomplished, you are lastly able to erase your Mac’s drive and restore it again to its manufacturing unit default settings.
There are a variety of how to go about this, however the best is to make use of Disk Utility to format your drive and reinstall macOS.
- Shut down your Mac.
- Flip in your Mac and instantly press and Command and R.
- Chances are you’ll be prompted to pick out a consumer and log in with the password for that account.
- From right here, you may be introduced with a utilities window. Choose Disk Utility.
- Choose Macintosh HD from the sidebar.
- Click on Erase and enter a brand new identify and format. For simplicity’s sake, you may go away each to Macintosh HD and APFS or Mac OS Prolonged (Journaled).
- Subsequent, click on Erase Quantity group. If that is not an choice, click on Erase.
- In case you have Discover My enabled, you may be prompted to deactivate it together with your Apple ID and password.
- Chances are you’ll wish to delete every other inside volumes moreover Macintosh HD. Simply click on the minus icon subsequent to every quantity.
- Lastly, stop Disk Utility
Now that your disk has been erased, you may choose Reinstall macOS (Model Title) from the utilities window.
As soon as macOS finishes putting in, you may possible be confronted with a setup assistant. It is at this level that it is best to shut down your Mac and go away the setup course of to whomever is receiving it.